Monday, August 25, 2008

The Last Day

( The idea of this prayer is not my own. After listening to Steven Curtis Chapman sing a song with this idea, I wrote the poem. I have never reconciled the poem with his song. I wrote this after the first time hearing the song. He is an awesome writer and this was what his song said to my heart.)

If this should be my last day here on earth
I would want to live it with reckless abandonment
No consideration of who I am or what I am
With no care about what others think of me.
I would not do the job I do today,
But I would want to do a task that would have lasting consequences.

If this should be my last day here on earth
I would want to live for You, Jesus
Considering who You are and what You are
Only caring about what others think of You
I would do the job You called me to
And do the task that brings lasting consequences for me

If this should be my last day here on earth
I would want to touch their lives
I would want to make a difference in their day
No more selfishness in how I give
I would like to “Give them my last day”

So dear God, help me to live every day
As if it is my last day
Recklessly abandoning my ways
And gratefully adopting Your ways
Forever giving my days away so that when I give my life away I could receive it!

If this should be my last day here on earth
It would be my first day in Your Kingdom.

Oh God, dear God
Let your kingdom come
In these last days here on earth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am reading a book called "Wild at Heart". The piece you have written reminds me of this especialy your use of the words "reckless abandonment".